Getting Started with Oqlis Business Analytics
Getting started with OQLIS
OQLIS is a powerful business analytics solution, and simple to use for technical people. For those who aren’t technical at all can still find the process fairly simple, watch this short clip below to get started and begin the journey to visualising your data.
Tutorial 1: Sign In & Home Page
Tutorial 5: Create an Explore
Tutorial 9: Rapid Explore
Tutorial 2: Create a Connection
Tutorial 6: Create an Automation
Tutorial 3: Create a Data Model
Tutorial 7: Create a Schedule
Tutorial 4: Spaces and Dashboards
Tutorial 8: System Settings
Quick Reference Help
Intro to help
Help: Pivot Chart
Help: Bar Chart Part 3
Help: Word Cloud
Help: Single Value KPI
Help: Pie Chart
Help: Network Diagram
Help: Single Value KPI with HTML
Help: Bar chart Part 1
Help: Spaces and Settings
Help: Bar Gauge
Help: Bar Chart Part 2
Help: Tree Map
Help: How to create Calculated Fields
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
What is OQLIS?
OQLIS makes it easy for users of any skill level to interrogate their data and build reports and dashboards in an intuitive drag on drop interface, you can share your discoveries and collaborate across the organisation in a safe and secure way. All using the power of the modern web.
What is Business Intelligence (BI) Software as a Service (SaaS)?
Software as a Service business intelligence (SaaS BI) is a delivery model for business intelligence in which applications are typically deployed outside of a company’s firewall at a hosted location and accessed by an end user with a secure Internet connection. Also known as on-demand BI or cloud BI, the technology is sold by vendors on a subscription or pay-as-you-go basis instead of the more traditional software licensing model with annual maintenance fees.
Does my organisation require Business Intelligence and reporting?
Every company needs BI reporting that works well, so that employees, managers and owners can see what is going on at a glance, and they are able to thoroughly analyse the underlying data. Reporting can be done directly on operational systems like ERP, CRM and so forth, or on a data warehouse. Ideally, reporting should be part of your Business Intelligence platform, so you should consider using Business Intelligence tools to do reporting.
What are the advantages of the OQLIS BI SaaS offering?
- SaaS BI lets companies use BI tools without having to install, operate and maintain them on-premise, freeing customers to concentrate on creating BI reports and analytic queries.
- Organizations can potentially start using SaaS BI technology more quickly than waiting for the installation of on-premise software, and the SaaS approach enables them to expand their BI systems as usage grows without having to make any capital-equipment purchases.
- SaaS BI can be a good choice when there’s little or no budget money available for buying BI software and related hardware. Because there aren’t any upfront purchase costs or additional staffing requirements needed to manage the BI system.
- Total cost of ownership (TCO) is substantially lower than it is with on-premise software.
Is my Data secure when I use OQLIS analytics?
Yes, OQLIS uses the following measures to ensure that data is secure
- The OQLIS web site is protected by 256-bit encryption and secure Https authentication.
- OQLIS accesses the database with a read only user that is created by the customers’ database custodian, and can be removed at any time.
- A single IP address is registered on port 1433 of a customer’s firewall (or for further security a randomised port can be used), to ensure that only OQLIS server can connect using a read only user on the database.
- The customer designated administrator assigns security rights to all users that log onto the system, this includes the rights to view and change any reports within the system. NO users can alter data.
- The customer database architect is responsible for creating query structures for database explore functionality and assigning these rows and tables within the database to the authorised stakeholders.
Who Owns My Data?
You as the customer owns your data, OQLIS does not store your data on its servers but only the result at the time of SQL query. This means that your data will remain on your server where the data is housed and does not leave your server.
Where is the OQLIS SaaS platform hosted?
OQLIS is housed in various datacenters around the globe, namely Google Cloud, Hetzner and Digital Oceans Cloud Platforms.
If required OQLIS can be hosted in your datacenter, where your IT department will be responsible for securing the application.
Can OQLIS scale as per my business needs?
Yes, the OQLIS platform is designed to scale as per ongoing customers’ requirements, and in theory is unlimited. The only limitation is based on the capacity of our or your datacentre infrastructure. All queries are conducted on the database at the origin, reducing reliance on bandwidth and infrastructure.
Does OQLIS require any specific infrastructure?
OQLIS is a SaaS application, with no additional hardware required, however has the flexibility to be installed on a customers site if so required.
OQLIS uses the latest web technologies and each user connects via a web browsers, therefore no software needs to be installed on a clients computer / Laptop / Tablet or even a smart phone.
Does OQLIS need an internet connection to operate?
The application can be presented anywhere where there is an internet connection.
Does OQLIS offer and on-premise BI Offering?
Yes, we understand that certain customers and industries will not adopted off premise solutions due to data sovereignty and legislation. For this purpose OQLIS can be installed on both a Microsoft platform (Windows Server & Microsoft SQL) or alternatively on Open source technology (Linux Ubuntu with MySQL).
Which databases does OQLIS connect to?
OQLIS can connect to various databases, MySQL, MySQL SSH, Microsoft SQL, PostgreSQL, Amazon Redshift, Oracle, Google BigQuery and CSV import.
Does OQLIS use a proprietary query language?
No, OQLIS uses SQL queries and stored procedures, thereby ensuring access to skills and not “reinventing the wheel” when it comes to setting up customer queries.
Can OQLIS share dashboard and embed these dashboards in various different applications?
Yes, each dashboard can be share and embedded into a public facing website or application. This is done by means of an embedded iframe or an API connection string.
How easy is it to train new users to use the OQLIS platform?
OQLIS has developed an “in application help function” that assist any business user to navigate through the various functional screens and makes the process super simple. Technical resources are usually only required to setup data connections and data models, however OQLIS can connect to existing database views and stored procedures.
Does OQLIS support self-service initiatives for BI users to develop their own reporting?
Yes, OQLIS is designed to make the data journey for any business user super simple from the developer (Explore screen) to a functional dashboard, this is achieved by adding easy to adopt shortcut keys in the menus of each screen, as well as a intuitive drag and drop canvas to interactively create various views of your data.
What Security and collaboration feature make OQLIS unique?
- The application of virtual folder structures that is secured with user access pre defined by an administrator, allows the user to create and modify charts with co workers, in a familiar interface.
- Embedded Visualisation, that can be share or embedded into a web enabled application, And share within or outside the organisation.
- Pre filter API allows role base data filtering in accordance with security rules, this can be based on role, department, company, location and division.
- The flexibility of creating dashboards in an easy “drag and drop” way, allows users with basic computer to explore their own data to make informed decisions.
- View users have full functionality to explore and drill into their information, which give user experience without the risks of data manipulation.
- Dual Security feature built the application to ensure total segregation of associated users, firstly roles based data model (connection into the database) and secondly virtual folder users authentication, ensuring dashboards are not distributed to users that may not view or collaborate with them.
Can OQLIS be “White Labeled” so that it looks like my own BI Tool?
Yes, this is one of the major advantages of OQLIS, the application can be re-branded to look and feel like your own Business intelligence application. Many OQLIS customers use this function extensively to enhance their own application. Customers receive the benefit of embedding OQLIS while not needing to worry at ongoing improvements (that is what we are passionate about), OQLIS is continually enhancing functionality and ease of use to make sure we offer the best solution.
Does OQLIS cater for data automation?
Yes, OQLIS has an automation module that caters for data automation. Live data can be monitored for event breaches, these breaches can be set in terms of static or calculated thresholds a good example is production averages. If these breaches occur a trigger is activated with a predefined outcome, this trigger can be in the form of an alert, or an action written back into the database.